Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Zealand- Castle Hill Bouldering

It looks simple. It isn't. 'Think Tank' (v4), Quantum Field

Castle Hill is one of the main reasons that I came to New Zealand. I had seen so many amazing pictures of the bouldering from this area that I had to see for myself whether it was real or imagined. It didn't disappoint. This is truly one of the most picturesque climbing areas I have ever been to, and the bouldering is fantastic. It's also very different. The best description I've heard is- "Friction climbing without the friction." The rock here is a glassy limestone that becomes more polished the more it's climbed. The problems are very technical and tenuous, involving a large amount of intricate body tension to pull off moves. I fell in love with the style of climbing and the landscape. I hope to return again one day to this magical place.

Pulling through the opening moves of the incredibly technical
'Super-Toucher' (v5), Spittle Hill


The sun sets over Castle Hill

Praying the feet don't blow- 'Supernatural' (v5), Spittle Hill

Enjoying the evening's glow

Having gained the slab, getting ready to launch sideways for the large pocket
on the 'Lung Dyno' (v4), Quantum Field

The big throw for the top- 'Lung Dyno' (v4), Quantum Field

An unnamed v1 at Quantum Field

An overview of Castle Hill- Spittle Hill (left) & Quantum Field (right)

No comments: