Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dreams Of Long Island Bouldering

Eight weeks. That's how long it will be until I climb again.

For those of you who don't know, I severely fractured my thumb while ski racing up on Mt. Hood. I will be having surgery on Friday to re-attach a large piece of bone to the rest of my thumb. I will be in a harder cast for two weeks, and then it will be a softer splint and physical therapy for six weeks.

Until then I can only dream of the places I'll visit, the problems I'll climb, and the way cold granite feels in my hand. Here's one of my dreams. A beautiful highball problem, located in Southold, Long Island.

It won't be super hard, the features are all there. It's just a super clean and aesthetic line. (The line climbs the left center of the overhanging side facing the beach.) Getting off will probably involve either a sketchy downclimb and jump, or a butt slide/jump into the shallow water off the backside. Either way, the problem can only be climbed within half an hour of maximum low tide. That is the only time the base of the problem is dry.

There are many other boulders with great problems in the area. But, this is the one I dream about as I count down the days until I will be able to climb again.

1 comment:

Paul Warner said...

Since going from San Diego and climbing 4-6 times a week to back here on LI with no gyms (except for some wayy out west) I really need to find some solid boulder problems/spots or im going to go crazy.... Nor do I know of anyone who climbs out here. when you're healed up maybe shoot me an email kartpw@gmail.com and we can swap problems. I'm thinking of heading down to the sound tomorrow and searching for some routes