Friday, May 30, 2008

Psycho Tower

I decided it was time to take a break from the small blocks to go climb something a bit taller. I hooked up with my long time climbing partner Jared Vilhauer to go climb Psycho Tower. This beautiful Wingate Sandstone tower is located in scenic Big Gypsum Valley, not far from the meandering Dolores River. We left Thursday evening and camped out overnight at the nearby BLM campground. The spot was pretty enjoyable, although it was atypically busy with lots of boaters launching rafts onto the river.

Dasha came along and we were supposed to have another friend meet up with us in the morning. The plan was for Jared and I to get going early (to be off the wall before the temps really heated up) and to climb the 5.11b slab variation to the beginning of the Regular Route. Dasha and friend were to follow on the Regular Route shortly thereafter.

Jared and I moved swiftly on the route and were done in a handful of hours. Our friend still had not arrived so I had Dasha rope up and I climbed it again with her. Seven pitches of climbing for me. Not a bad day. Here are some pics. 1-Jared and Dasha trying to find the tower (hint: it's the obvious tower behind them) 2-Me starting up the 5.11b variation- 'Nameless Face' 3-Jared nearing the finish of the second pitch 4-Me on the super fun and wild third pitch traverse. The fourth and final pitch is out of view.

No comments: