Saturday, May 17, 2008

The End Of One Season Is The Beginning Of Another

This past winter was an atypically snowy and cold one for all of Colorado, but especially Telluride. One of the things I love about this place is that I can ski outstanding snow on any given day, and then spend the next day climbing in a t-shirt in the desert after driving for no more than an hour. In fact, you can often climb in San Miguel Canyon all winter as well, which is only a 20-40 minute drive depending on what area you're climbing at. During an average winter, I try to climb at least once a week, and sometimes get out as much as three times a week. This winter I maybe climbed five times total in four and a half months.

After almost five months of snow and well over a hundred days of skiing, you need a change of pace. Dasha and I were both super psyched for what is now an annual climbing road trip. We take about a month in the spring to travel to places that we really want to visit and climb at. We wanted to leave as soon as we could.

The ski season ended April 6th and I spent the next week and a half taking care of other PSIA related skiing obligations. I was finally done with anything related to skiing on the 17th of April.

We left on April 20th.

This picture is from the last day of the season.
Note the sick terrain and the insane amount of snow left.


No comments: